The Porto LGBT+ music festival has been canceled

The LGBT+ Music Festival, scheduled for early July in Porto, has been canceled, the organization announced, guaranteeing that it had contacted ticket holders “about the refund procedure”.

“It is with the greatest sadness that we have to announce that we have taken the devastating decision to cancel the LGBT+ Music Festival. a statement posted this Monday on the festival’s official website and social media accounts.

The LGBT+ Music Festival, scheduled for July 1, 2 and 3, was advertised as a “celebration of love and music”, in Alfândega do Porto, but with “shows and experiences [que] beyond the festival grounds”.

“Festivals will be able to participate in parties that take place in swimming pools, terraces and boats on the Douro River, in addition to emblematic places, among which Casa da Música and Hard Club stand out,” reads a statement released. in February. .

Among the various artist and band names announced were Iggy Azalea, Melanie C, Peaches, Ludmilla, Little Boots, Blaya, Favela Lacroix, Tiga, Snap! and Todrick Hall.

On June 1, also through a statement posted online, the organization guaranteed that the event would take place, albeit “in a different format”.

“We faced several internal issues which made things more difficult for our team. We worked around the clock to ensure the festival took place, but due to the current circumstances we decided that it would be held in a different format,” he read. if in the text shared at the time.

In the press release on Monday, the festival organization claims to have contacted all those who bought a ticket, “about the refund procedure”, asking them to “check their email accounts”. Additionally, an email (hello@lgbtmusicfestival.com) is available for anyone with questions.

The festival, whose organization was entrusted to the company Apollon, has as investors the foreign company Galaxium Delirium.

On June 3, in statements to Lusa, lawyer Joana Cadete Pires, of the law firm that represents Galaxium Delirium in Portugal, explained that “the functions of organizing the festival have been delegated to Portugal”.

According to the lawyer, “there were several factors” that led the company to have to rethink the initiative, namely “internal problems”, which she refused to talk about, and “external problems”, such as the number of tickets sold, “lower than the initial expectation”.

Also according to the lawyer, the internal issues had “a great weight”, the investors “arriving at the conclusion that the conditions were not met – logistics, confirmation of the artists”. “Clear issues of poor organization,” he said.

Until May 13 this year, Apollon had Marco Azevedo as manager, who told Lusa, also on June 3, that he left the job because he felt he “couldn’t do” his job. .

A person who worked with the festival from October last year until early May this year, and who preferred not to be identified, told Lusa that the Portuguese man who hired him “apparently skipped from the boat in mid-May”.

Apollon is also the promoter of Trace Made in Africa, an “Afro-urban, music, fashion, dance and art” festival, which will take place from Friday to Sunday, in Alfândega do Porto.

The festival lineup includes, among others, C4 Pedro, SAuti Sol, Stonebwoy, Admiral T, Naza, NSG, Fally Ipupa, Kriol Kings and Fireboy DML.

Leave a Comment